The daily roundup: all of Jan. 23’s need-to-know news from the Daily Cal

The daily roundup is a collection of the top stories to read from The Daily Californian. We’ve curated need-to-know articles from all sections of the Daily Cal to give you a quick glimpse at our news coverage.   

Top headlines to read:

“The leaders of California’s three-tiered higher education system appeared before the UC Board of Regents on Wednesday to present collaborative initiatives addressing community college transfers, outreach to K-12 students and potential savings in procurement.” — California’s higher education leaders announce collaborative effort

“Finances were paramount at the UC Board of Regents meeting Wednesday as the university’s top officials considered the possibility that reinvestment in the UC system may not be possible without additional state revenue.” — UC Regents discuss funding stability without additional state support at meeting

Sports tonight:

“At what point does a fluke morph into a pattern? For its fourth straight game, the Cal men’s basketball team fell into an early deficit against its lightly regarded opponent. The first three times, the Bears eventually found their rhythm and cruised to an easy win. On Wednesday night at the Galen Center in Los Angeles, they were not so lucky.” — Cal men’s basketball upset by USC, 77-69, for first Pac-12 loss

Conversation-starters:

“While at home in Southern California over winter break, I encountered a flyer posted in a local Starbucks advertising a three-week “Beat the Stress” class hosted in a woman named Janet’s living room.” — Off the beat: Embrace, don’t erase, your stress

“The Firehouse Gallery North in Berkeley is a small, homely space. Its deep display windows draw passersby into a tunnel: vaulted ceiling and walls close in, telescoping toward a vague and undefined space out back. It is not the sort of place one expects to encounter fame or greatness, but the ghosts of both are perfectly at home between its shabby walls.” — Beat movement embers burn bright at Firehouse Gallery North

“Have you ever felt like you have a complete lack of control over your life? Us too. It’s called the beginning of the semester. Congratulations!” — ‘I’m still hungover’ and other excuses for not being ready for spring 2014

Berkeley on the Web:

It was out of the corner of my eye that I noticed him. “Holy Shit, that’s the dude from Top Dog,” I thought to myself as I drove up Franklin Street through Downtown Oakland. It was almost like seeing a superhero out of character, like a quasi-celebrity sighting.” — A View from the Top (wineandbowties)