FYI: Reddit co-founder to come to Berkeley

The Internet isn’t just for nerds anymore (but let’s be real — we’re all nerds at UC Berkeley). So maybe it’s a good thing that the co-founder of the website that proclaims itself “the front page of the internet” is coming for a visit.

5282805183_b997f56d90_z

That’s right. One of the co-founders of Reddit is coming to UC Berkeley. If you don’t know what Reddit is, you should probably go check it out. Be warned: You will get addicted. But we’ll try to give you a quick lowdown. Reddit lets anonymous users post content — anything from news stories to funny pictures to original poetry — and comment on others’ posts. Then communities of users form around the subject of the content (of course there’s a subreddit all about UC Berkeley).

7139349361_962c565b76_z

The man. The myth.

Mark your calendars. Alexis Ohanian will be on campus on Jan. 28, at 7 p.m. in Wheeler Auditorium, hosting a “fireside chat” to talk about his bestselling new book, “Without Their Permission,” (among other things) with any interested students. The room can only fit 600 students, so it’s first-come-first-serve seating. Get there early if you want the opportunity to meet one of today’s foremost Internet entrepreneurs. 

3885824225_67d5cef8c5_o

Get out your pen; get out your paper.

Berkeley is one of 46 colleges Ohanian is set to visit on his book tour. The book is supposedly about “harnessing the Internet to make the world suck less,” something that all college students could get behind, be them our Haas students, computer science majors or humanities majors.

And Ohanian himself is extraordinarily excited to be visiting. He already posted a YouTube video calling on students to take advantage of the great opportunity. Not only should the event be a good networking opportunity, but he also called Stanford “just a bunch of trees.” And reportedly, there will be a t-shirt cannon.

Get pumped.

Get pumped.

We’ll see you there.

Image sources: AJC1Eva Blue,  USV koalazymonkeyWill Folsom

Contact Holly Secon at [email protected]