The daily roundup: all of Jan. 24’s need-to-know news from the Daily Cal

The daily roundup is a collection of the top stories to read from The Daily Californian. We’ve curated need-to-know articles from all sections of the Daily Cal to give you a quick glimpse at our news coverage.   

Top headlines to read:

“A week after declaring a drought emergency, Gov. Jerry Brown called California’s current drought ‘a stark warning of things to come’ in his State of the State address Wednesday.” — Officials, researchers express rising concerns over drought emergency

“Compensation packages for new executives across the UC system drew mixed responses from the UC Board of Regents at its Thursday meeting.” — Regents approve increased compensation for UC executives

“If one were to summarize UC President Janet Napolitano’s first few months on the job in the form of a question, it would go something like this: Is there an inequity problem at the university?” — OP-ED: Troubling double standard present in UC negotiations with members of AFSCME

Sports tonight:

“The No. 19 Cal women’s basketball team has gotten off to a steady start in conference play this season, and with two big matchups against USC and UCLA looming, the squad has a chance to truly assert itself as a Pac-12 powerhouse..” — Second place in Pac-12 on line as Cal women’s basketball battles USC

Conversation-starters:

“The beginning of the semester usually correlates with the decrease of funds in your bank account. We’ve found the best ways to save money while keeping your cool factor in tact.” — 14 money-saving hacks that won’t destroy your social life

“You’ve got four free hours, and you’ve been hearing all the buzz about “At Berkeley,” so you’re thinking about watching it.  Critics are eating it up, but we have some other suggestions for using your time.  Instead of acting like all four hours of the film are actually interesting, do these four things instead. Save “At Berkeley” for when you’re a nostalgic alum.”  — 4 things you can do in 4 hours instead of watching ‘At Berkeley’

Berkeley on the Web:
“Less than two hours after tickets became available for Michael Pollan’s opening lecture on Monday Jan. 27 in the Edible Schoolyard Foundation’s new Edible Education 101 class, the event was full.” — Michael Pollan, Raj Patel head up new edible course (Berkeleyside)

Sabrina Werts is the assistant blog editor. Contact her at [email protected]