The daily roundup: all of Jan. 27’s need-to-know news from the Daily Cal

The daily roundup is a collection of the top stories to read from The Daily Californian. We’ve curated need-to-know articles from all sections of the Daily Cal to give you a quick glimpse at our news coverage.   

Top headlines to read:

“The morning sky was still dark when UC Berkeley fifth-year Janette Meraz and her family joined the growing line at a San Diego food bank, trying to keep themselves warm with blankets and attempting to sleep on the cold concrete.” — UC Berkeley senior starts crowd-funding campaign to support family

“Echoing recent calls at the campus and state levels, President Barack Obama announced the creation of a White House task force to address sexual assault on college campuses Wednesday.” — White House task force aims to improve sexual assault response on college campuses

“A state Senate committee recommended policy changes to the Californian Department of Transportation in a hearing Friday, after an investigation into several possible lapses in transparency and construction during the creation of the recently unveiled San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge.” — Hearing examines possible problems in Bay Bridge’s construction

Sports tonight:

“With only one out and two runners threatening in scoring position, Jolene Henderson induced a slow comebacker, inching one step closer to escaping a late-inning jam. Henderson fired a strike to first base to secure the out and gave the Cal softball team yet another chance to knot up a 1-0 ballgame. But the routine play came at a severe price — a torn ACL for Henderson.” — Without Jolene Henderson, Cal softball readies itself for 2014 season

“Two women’s basketball players from UC Berkeley and Stanford University are teaming up to spark a dialogue and create a safe space for LGBT athletes and straight allies at their respective schools this week.” — Cal and Stanford players team up to address LGBT issues

Conversation-starters:

“What words turn you off when you’re scrolling through job postings? Long hours? No pay? For one-fifth of the Berkeley student population, it is “we do not sponsor H-1B visas.” — Off the beat: International students need not apply

“Attention all spring admits: Welcome, and be prepared for the whirlwind of weirdness that accompanies going to school here. We’ve cultivated some of our favorite advice and things you should expect during your first few weeks here at Cal.” —  Attention all spring admits. Here’s what to expect.

“For once, the 56th annual Grammy Awards ceremony, “Music’s Biggest Night,” actually turned out to be a great night for music.” — Beyonce and Jay-Z team up for “Drunk in Love” and 11 other high and low moments at the 2014 Grammy Awards

Berkeley on the Web:

“China’s biggest contributions to the Bay Area economy come from students, tourists and real estate investment. Other sectors are doing OK, but a slowing China economy means ties aren’t growing as quickly as some anticipated.” — Stanford, UC Berkeley, houses top draws for China

Chloe Hunt is the blog editor. Contact her at [email protected]