The daily roundup: all of Jan. 28’s need-to-know news from the Daily Cal

The daily roundup is a collection of the top stories to read from The Daily Californian. We’ve curated need-to-know articles from all sections of the Daily Cal to give you a quick glimpse at our news coverage.   

Top headlines to read:

“Perched on the edge of the Berkeley Marina is an unassuming building, home to a number of labs and, most recently, a new space for biotechnology researchers to experiment and push the boundaries of their fields.” — New hackerspace Berkeley BioLabs opens in southwest Berkeley

“In a continued effort to improve online education at the University of California, UC officials announced a series of new initiatives to expand online course offerings last week.” — UC officials announce initiatives to improve online education systemwide

“In 2010, only about 20 percent of students with bachelor’s degrees or doctorates in physics were women, lagging far behind biology, chemistry, math and earth sciences.” — Op-ed: Where are all the women? 

Sports tonight:

“The Cal men’s basketball team returns from Los Angeles looking to recover. The Bears’ 5-0 conference start has devolved into two straight losses, including one against a team that might be the worst in the Pac-12.” — Looking to halt its losing streak, Cal men’s basketball hosts Arizona State

Conversation-starters:

“Let’s be honest: We tend to procrastinate a lot.” — Bought your textbooks yet? Read our money saving tips first

“Google probably owns half the world at this point (its servers, at any rate, probably hold half of the Internet). So naturally, when new inventions fly out of the Googleplex, people tend to pay attention … unlike with products such as Microsoft’s Zune.” — Should you get Google’s latest creation for your apartment?

Berkeley on the Web: 

“Newsom’s office has worked together with CITRIS, a research unit at the University of California, Berkeley, to create the ‘California Report Card,’ a mobile app that lets Golden State residents ‘grade their state on timely issues.’ ” — Gavin Newsom, UC Berkeley team up on ‘California report card’

Chloe Hunt is the blog editor. Contact her at [email protected]