The daily roundup: all of Jan. 29’s need-to-know news from the Daily Cal

The daily roundup is a collection of the top stories to read from The Daily Californian. We’ve curated need-to-know articles from all sections of the Daily Cal to give you a quick glimpse at our news coverage.   

Top headlines to read:

“A new platform released Tuesday intends to give California residents a better opportunity to express their political opinions to the state government.” — New platform aims to help residents better express opinions to state government

“Sounds of chatter echoed through Moses Hall on Tuesday evening as UC Berkeley students and faculty congregated to watch President Barack Obama’s fifth State of the Union address.” — Bipartisan crowd congregates in Moses Hall for State of the Union viewing party

“In his first fireside chat of the semester Tuesday evening, Chancellor Nicholas Dirks advised students to diversify their college experiences in the face of career concerns.” — Students inform Dirks about undergraduate experience in fireside chat

“After less than a year, the misguided sequester experiment is seemingly coming to an end. But the damage done by it —  and the austerity policies from which it originated — lives on in cuts to vital programs such as science research and may be with us for a long time to come.” — OP-ED: Funding cuts leave wounds in research 

Sports tonight:

“The Stanford women’s basketball team is sitting on a throne as the queen of the Pac-12. Boasting a pristine conference record so far this season, the fourth-ranked Cardinal are reveling in Pac-12 glory, having won their first eight conference matchups by an average margin of 25 points.” — Cal women’s basketball massive underdogs in Battle of the Bay

“On a day when No. 4 Brandon Hagy did not play up to his usual level, it was none other than his roommate, Joel Stalter, who picked up the slack for him. Cal men’s golf (281-285-287 – 853, +1) rode Stalter’s hot shooting all the way past USC and to its first win of the spring season at the Arizona Intercollegiate in Tuscon, Ariz., at the Sewailo Golf Course on Monday and Tuesday.” — Stalter’s strong play saves Cal men’s golf at Arizona Intercollegiate

Conversation-starters:

“How can a show not be just a whining guy with a guitar?” Volcano Choir’s lead singer Justin Vernon asked himself during an interview with Pitchfork last summer.” — Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon oozes powerful vocals and intense lyrics in Volcano Choir

Berkeley on the Web: 

“President Obama put higher education squarely in his rhetorical sights during the State of the Union address Tuesday night, calling for plans to reduce the interest rate on student loans, extend popular tax credits and shore up support for community colleges’ job training programs.” — On Notice (INSIDE HIGHER ED)

Chloe Hunt is the blog editor. Contact her at [email protected]