Police find allegations of attempted kidnapping to be false

Allegations that a man attempted to kidnap a 15-year-old boy on crutches late Friday night near the campus-owned University Village in Albany were recanted by the boy and proved to be unfounded by UCPD on Monday.

In the initial UCPD crime alert, the boy claimed he was walking south on Jackson Street and reached the Eighth Street intersection when a man approached him and allegedly tried to verbally coerce him into entering an SUV at about 11 p.m.

The boy told police that when he refused, the man maneuvered the SUV such that the boy’s path was blocked. The man then purportedly exited the SUV and again ordered the boy to get in the vehicle.

The boy claimed the man approached him and tried to physically force him into the vehicle. The boy told police that he yelled for help, struck the man and managed to escape without injuries.

UCPD Lt. Eric Tejada said campus police investigators interviewed the boy Monday; the boy retracted his statements from Friday night. Tejada said the boy was worried his parents would be angry with him for coming home late, so he invented the attempted kidnapping story. The parents called the police, and the whole incident “got out of hand,” Tejada said.

UCPD will turn over the information of the falsified report to the Alameda County District Attorney’s office, which may then pursue charges on the grounds of submitting a knowingly false police report.

While the boy is not affiliated with the campus, the University Village contains family housing units for UC Berkeley students.

Kimberly Veklerov is the lead crime reporter. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @KVeklerov.