The daily roundup: all of Feb. 3′s need-to-know news from the Daily Cal

The daily roundup is a collection of the top stories to read from The Daily Californian. We’ve curated need-to-know articles from all sections of the Daily Cal to give you a quick glimpse at our news coverage.  

Top headlines to read:

“Robberies in the city of Berkeley increased by 21 percent between 2012 and 2013, while numbers reported by campus police showed a slight decline, according to preliminary UCPD data obtained by The Daily Californian.” — Campus police report decrease in robberies while city numbers show the opposite

“California voters may soon have the opportunity to decide if race, gender or ethnicity should be used as factors of consideration in admission, retention and recruitment programs in the state’s higher education systems, including the University of California.” — Legislation to give voters say on race-, gender-based policies moves forward

“A one-week reduction of winter break across most UC campuses to avoid conflict with Jewish holidays has sparked significant opposition from thousands of students who claim that two weeks is not enough time to rest and recuperate.” —  UC students oppose shorter winter breaks for quarter-system campuses

Sports tonight:

“With 17 ticks remaining on the game clock Saturday night, Cal guard Tyrone Wallace soared to snatch a defensive rebound, giving the Bears the opportunity to break the 58-58 stalemate against the No. 1 team in the nation.” — Fresh off historic upset over Arizona, Cal men’s basketball hosts Stanford

Conversation-starters:

“The Haas Pavilion came alive Saturday night in response to our men’s basketball team’s huge victory over the No. 1-ranked basketball team in the country.” — Fans react to Cal victory over No. 1 Arizona in tweets and videos

“Despite its religious title, Jez Butterworth’s “Jerusalem” is absolutely anything but. Inspired by the poetry of William Blake, San Francisco Playhouse’s latest follows a day in the life of a 40-something, drug-dealing squatter and his eccentric clan of inebriated, amphetamine-craving teenagers.” — San Francisco Playhouse’s ‘Jerusalem’ squanders technical excellence with erratic plot

Berkeley on the Web: 

“In 2001, seven years after joining the biology faculty of the University of California, Berkeley, Tyrone Hayes stopped talking about his research with people he didn’t trust.” — A valuable reputation (The New Yorker)

Chloe Hunt is the blog editor. Contact her at [email protected]