Daily roundup: all of Feb. 4’s need-to-know news from The Daily Californian

The daily roundup is a collection of the top stories to read from The Daily Californian. We’ve curated need-to-know articles from all sections of the Daily Cal to give you a quick glimpse at our news coverage. 

Top headlines to read:

“One hundred years ago, in honor of the near-completion of the Campanile’s steel frame, baskets of turkey, instead of tons of steel, were hoisted on the derricks to the top of the tower for a celebration banquet 200 feet in the sky.” — Campus starts plans for Campanile’s centennial celebration next year

“Despite Berkeley’s recent showers of rain, the state’s severe drought crisis has only worsened.” — Drought crisis causes State Water Project to halt supply come spring

“A referendum to overturn the new student-majority district approved by Berkeley City Council in December was certified by the Alameda County registrar of voters Monday, according to the city manager’s office.” — Referendum to overturn Berkeley student district moves forward

Sports tonight:

“With 17 ticks remaining on the game clock Saturday night, Cal guard Tyrone Wallace soared to snatch a defensive rebound, giving the Bears the opportunity to break the 58-58 stalemate against the No. 1 team in the nation.” — Fresh off historic upset over Arizona, Cal men’s basketball hosts Stanford

Conversation starters:

“Berkeley students are known for a variety of things  good grades, protesting, an undeniable love of boba and being incredibly unlucky in regards to football. However, with the creation of new app “Lucky” from Cal grads Jon Liu and Jeff Wang, students at Berkeley can be the most connected too.” — Get ‘Lucky’ with this new app

“I sat in the Pacific Film Archive Theater, waiting to experience the Frederick Wiseman documentary ‘At Berkeley.’ Though some have decried Wiseman’s examination as uneven and others have commented on the film’s excessive length, nothing could deter me from watching ‘At Berkeley’ at Berkeley.” — ‘At Berkeley,’ but not in spirit

Berkeley on the Web:

“Food truck organization Off The Grid has confirmed it will start a new Berkeley market on Sunday Feb. 9. As expected, the new location is the North Berkeley BART parking lot, and the market, which will feature 10 or more trucks every week, will be open for dinner on Sundays, from 5:00-9:00 p.m.” — Off the Grid food trucks launch new Berkeley market (Berkeleyside)

Sabrina Werts is the assistant blog editor. Contact her at [email protected]