The daily roundup: all of Feb. 5′s need-to-know news from the Daily Cal

The daily roundup is a collection of the top stories to read from The Daily Californian. We’ve curated need-to-know articles from all sections of the Daily Cal to give you a quick glimpse at our news coverage.   

Top headlines to read:

“The team leading the project to overhaul the Downtown Berkeley BART plaza held an open house Monday night, encouraging the public to review plans and provide feedback on conceptual designs that could affect nearly 30,000 commuters.” — Open house showcases new Downtown Berkeley BART plaza designs

“A referendum to overturn the new student-majority district approved by Berkeley City Council in December was certified by the Alameda County registrar of voters Monday, according to the city manager’s office.” — Referendum to overturn Berkeley student district moves forward

Sports tonight:

In the first half Wednesday night, Stanford did something No. 1 Arizona couldn’t do against Cal: The Cardinal were efficient from behind the 3-point line, got to the free-throw line and pulled away from the Bears early in the contest.” — After slow start, Cal men’s basketball falls to Stanford, 80-69

Conversation-starters:

”I do not report happy stories.” — Local, organic, and free of sexual assault

“I sat in the Pacific Film Archive Theater, waiting to experience the Frederick Wiseman documentary ‘At Berkeley.'” — ‘At Berkeley,’ but not in spirit

“On Saturday night, the band Islands performed a set at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco, playing tracks off their new album Ski Mask.” — On Tour: Islands

Berkeley on the Web:

“Not so long ago, when Bay Area commuters were still livid over the second BART strike in three months, a ban on such work stoppages was not only a swell conversation starter but a political cause that seemed to be gathering steam.” — Barnidge: There won’t be any more BART strikes, if these two get their way

Chloe Hunt is the blog editor. Contact her at [email protected]