First Fridays: Looking for inspiration, finding creativity

1. “Reclaiming: A New Asylum” at Creative Growth Art Center

In a world removed from conventional art and pop culture lies Creative Growth Art Center’s latest show featuring childlike scribbles, shapes and brushstrokes. “Reclaiming: A New Asylum” showcases the essence of creativity. Part crazy and part beautiful, the exhibition, which challenges traditional notions of form and dimension, honors imagination and ingenuity.

2. “How Do You Say What It’s Like” by Kristine Eudey at Backstock Gallery

Kristine Eudey sees photographs as not only objects of the world but also as mirrors that reflect that world. “(A photograph) provides a place for … displacement to be contained — the displacement that happens whenever you take anything out of its context and look at it, point to it,”  she said. A kind of visual version of Gertrude Stein’s poetry, the show at Backstock Gallery dissects the medium of photography.

3. “Waterworks” by Elaine Maute and “Istanbul” by Laura Domrose at Manna Gallery

In “Waterworks” at Manna Gallery, Elaine Maute delves into the awe-inspiring and rejuvenating element of water. Through her photography, she aims to draw from primal shapes and the intricacies of geometry. Displayed alongside “Waterworks” is “Istanbul” by Laura Domrose. Inspired by the Montana artist’s choice to live in Turkey, the show invokes the sights and smells of the city through photographic images.

4. “Transformation of Connectivity: Conversation, Confluence, Collaboration” at Mercury 20 Gallery

In this creative group show at Mercury 20, connectivity takes the main stage. Each contributing artist was invited to ask a guest to participate in his or her work. The final product is a compelling and impressive burst of creativity and talent. What’s interesting here is that participants were not only artists and photographers, but also writers, musicians and choreographers. Learn about the incredible power and aesthetic value of connectivity in “Transformation.”

Addy Bhasin covers visual art. Contact her at [email protected].