Graduate student instructor allegedly sexually assaulted UC Berkeley student

On Jan. 25, a graduate student instructor allegedly sexually assaulted a 22-year-old female UC Berkeley student whom he knew. UCPD has not yet made an arrest in the case.

The GSI invited the student, an acquaintance, to an off-campus bar for drinks, according to UCPD crime alerts released Thursday and Jan. 27.

The student recalled leaving her drink unattended for a short period of time and becoming ill after consuming several drinks, the alert states. Police said she was then taken to the residence of the GSI at University Village in Albany, where she was sexually assaulted, according to the alert.

University Village provides housing for UC Berkeley students with families or dependents.

UCPD responded to a local hospital the day after receiving a report of the alleged sexual assault.

UCPD Lt. Marc DeCoulode said no arrests have been made because the case is still under investigation and “no suspect has been positively identified.” According to the two UCPD crime alerts, the suspect is described as a 40-year-old Hispanic male, 5-foot-7 in height and 170 pounds.

DeCoulode could not disclose details of the alleged sexual assault or whether the GSI taught the student in one of his classes, because the investigation is ongoing.

In 2012, there were seven incidents of forcible sex offenses occurring on noncampus property — under which University Village is classified because, although it is a campus-owned residence, it is not contiguous to the main UC Berkeley campus — according to data UC Berkeley submits annually to the federal government.

There were five reported cases of forcible rape to which UCPD responded in 2013, according to preliminary UCPD data obtained by The Daily Californian. In the area just around campus, Berkeley Police Department reported 18 incidents of forcible rape.

DeCoulode urged anyone with knowledge of the incident or similar incidents to contact UCPD. Police also ask anyone who might be a victim of a similar type of incident to contact UCPD’s criminal investigation bureau at 510-664-9687.

Kimberly Veklerov is the lead crime reporter. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @KVeklerov.