Daily roundup: all of Feb. 10′s need-to-know news from the Daily Cal

The daily roundup is a collection of the top stories to read from The Daily Californian. We’ve curated need-to-know articles from all sections of the Daily Cal to give you a quick glimpse at our news coverage. 

Top headlines to read:

“Family doctors’ iPhones may soon be incorporated into regular checkups to help monitor and detect heart conditions, thanks to a new startup company run by UC Berkeley students.” — Startup founded by students aims to revolutionize modern stethoscope

“The University of California will finalize a new sexual harassment and violence policy in the coming weeks, although it may not be implemented until sometime after March 7, the deadline for the university to submit a new policy to the federal government.” — University to finalize new sexual harassment policy

“Bay Area lawmakers introduced legislation Thursday that would require new smartphones and tablets sold in California to come equipped with a digital “kill switch” function, allowing owners to disable devices when lost or stolen.” — Lawmakers seek to curb smartphone theft with device ‘kill switch’

“A possible change to Berkeley’s city charter that would give the City Council more freedom to fill vacancies by appointment has kindled controversy among some council members over whether the change could result in an abuse of power.” — Proposed amendment to Berkeley city charter stirs controversy

Sports tonight:

“After a back-and-forth battle, the Cal women’s basketball team built a formidable lead over Washington State in the hopes of shaking up the stagnant upper level of the Pac-12 standings.” — Boyd’s 23 points helps No. 23 Cal women’s basketball rout Washington State

“With the contest deadlocked at 3-3, the stage was set for a dramatic finale. One by one, the players shuffled to the sidelines to watch it unfold — it was what Cal head coach Amanda Augustus called “last-man tennis.” Maegan Manasse slammed the ball with a topspin-heavy forehand.” — No. 8 Cal women’s tennis falls to Duke in semifinals of ITA National Women’s Tennis Indoor Championships

Conversation starters:

“Most of us know Dwinelle Hall as the building that conveniently doubles up as an education center and torturous maze, filled with students who have no clue where the hell they’re going. Along with many things, “the first time we ever got lost in Dwinelle” has been an inevitable part of many of our Cal experiences, but have you ever wondered why it’s so damn confusing?” — The mysterious and mildly interesting story of Dwinelle Hall

“In anticipation of the big day of love (or sadness, depending on who you are), get ready for a week filled with singing, bingeing and some good ol’ fashioned country.” — Picks of the Week: Frozen and “Galentine’s Day”

Berkeley on the Web:

“Less than a week before she leads the U.S. Olympics delegation to Sochi, Russia, University of California President Janet Napolitano sat down with me Thursday for a wide-ranging discussion.” — Napolitano Taking UC Values to Sochi Olympics

Chloe Hunt is the blog editor. Contact her at [email protected]