Tips on surviving awkward Berkeley problems

As UC Berkeley students, we take comfort in the fact that we are all a big group of weird individuals. We share experiences and memories that transcend our majors and extracurriculars. Here are some problems we’ve all faced and can overcome together. You are never alone.

Having a crush on your GSI

in love

If you’re actually excited to go to discussion, chances are, it’s because you have a big fat crush on your GSI. Don’t worry, everyone’s gone through it at one point. Just remember, your life isn’t “Pretty Little Liars.” Find another student to gawk at instead.

Being 10 minutes late to everything

clocks

They say if you’re on time, you’re late, and if you’re early, you’re on time, but what happens when you’re always 10 minutes late to everything? Unfortunately, the world doesn’t run on Berkeley time, and if you find this to be a grave issue in your daily life, consider setting your clocks 10 minutes ahead.

Making an acronym for everything

talk

The whole point of acronyms is to conversate more efficiently, but it’s most frustrating when people don’t understand what you’re saying and you have to spend more time explaining yourself. In the time you explained what GBC meant, you could’ve probably used GBC, FSM and RSF all in the same sentence.

Seeing the drunk guy from last night going hard at Moffitt

study

We go to UC Berkeley. Of course we study. That shouldn’t faze you. In fact, you should probably join him; there’s probably a chem midterm around the corner!

Too late for late night food

wheresmyfood

Do you always get hungry right as the doors close? Do you find yourself contemplating ways to break into late night to steal some chicken strips? A better solution might be to have a stash of emergency snacks. If you’re worried that you’ll eat them all in one sitting, store them in different areas or have friends hide them for you. Emergency snacks should only be consumed during emergencies — like when you miss that 2 a.m. cut off for C.R.E.A.M.

Expecting every trash to also have a compost bin

recycling

Unfortunately, the rest of the world isn’t as considerate as Berkeley. If your trash is small enough to carry around, consider holding onto that Starbucks cup until you find a recycling bin. Every step towards a greener world helps.

Image Sources: John-Morgan under Creative Commons, nugglesw4rpedfascinationbrinheartsmichaelwhatshouldsoonerscallmewwhat-are-you-so-scared-of, and flatstanley

Contact Ilaf Esuf at [email protected]