Former GSI arrested on suspicion of unlawful sexual penetration

UPDATE: On Thursday, Timothy Rodriguez was arraigned on charges of possession of controlled substances. Currently, no sexual assault charges have been brought.

A former graduate student instructor was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of unlawful sexual penetration and possession of controlled substances.

The suspect, identified by UCPD as 40-year-old Timothy Rodriguez, was the alleged offender in a sexual assault that occurred Jan. 25, according to a UCPD crime alert released Tuesday. In that incident, police said a 22-year-old female student met with the suspect at a bar, where she left her drink unattended for a short period of time. According to the alert, the suspect then took the student to his residence at University Village in Albany, where the alleged sexual assault took place.

UCPD spokesperson Lt. Eric Tejada said the alleged sexual assault is specifically classified as penetration with a foreign object.

University Village provides housing for UC Berkeley students with families or dependents.

UCPD responded to a local hospital the day after the alleged offense after receiving a report of sexual assault.

Rodriguez was being held in the Berkeley city jail with bail set at $120,000 as of Tuesday night, and his arraignment was scheduled for Thursday at 2 p.m. at the Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse in Oakland, according to the Alameda County Inmate Locator. As of Wednesday night, however, the jail confirmed Rodriguez was not currently in its custody.

UCPD is asking for anyone who might be a victim of a similar type of incident to contact either its criminal investigation bureau at 510-664-9687 or the campus’s Title IX office at 510-643-7985.

Kimberly Veklerov is the lead crime reporter. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @KVeklerov.

Due to incorrect information on the original UCPD crime alert, a previous version of this article listed an incorrect phone number for the criminal investigation bureau. In fact, the correct number is 510-664-9687.