Daily roundup: all of Feb. 12′s need-to-know news from the Daily Cal

The daily roundup is a collection of the top stories to read from The Daily Californian. We’ve curated need-to-know articles from all sections of the Daily Cal to give you a quick glimpse at our news coverage. 

Top headlines to read:

“A former graduate student instructor was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of unlawful sexual penetration and possession of controlled substances.” — Former GSI arrested on suspicion of unlawful sexual penetration

“After months of dry weather conditions, cities across Northern California saw several days of heavy rainfall this past weekend — but state officials caution that the storm is only one of many needed to alleviate the drought.” — Drought continues despite weekend rainstorm

“Middle Eastern, Muslim and South Asian students asked Chancellor Nicholas Dirks to facilitate a safe environment to debate and fairly represent their opinions during a fireside chat Monday evening.” — Student coalition asks Dirks for safer campus for debate

Sports tonight:

“When the Cal softball team sets sail for San Diego, it won’t be for tacos, beaches or even Ron Burgundy. Rather, the Bears will be in store for a business trip — five games in a span of 72 hours.” — Cal softball set for five games in three days at Campbell/Cartier Classic

“Winning is all the undefeated Bears know this season, but defeating the top teams in the country will be a whole new task. For a team with accomplished veterans and successful freshmen, the Bears hope to prove this weekend that they belong at the top.” — No. 11 Cal men’s tennis travels to Houston for ITA National Men’s Indoor Championships

Conversation-starters:

“When UC Berkeley junior Kevin Shen took the Jeopardy! online test last March to qualify for a spot on the TV show, he didn’t expect much of it.” — UC Berkeley junior buzzes his way into Jeopardy! college tournament

“Walls of street art canvases filled the Loakal Art Gallery in Oakland. Event co-curator and Oakland-based street artist Nite Owl had lines of paint cans, cups and paintbrushes to distribute among participants.” — Underground art exhibition draws community together

“Sometimes you don’t realize how much you love something until it’s gone. This Valentine’s Day lesson comes from the quick demise of “Flappy Bird,” the hit mobile game.” — A Valentine’s Day lesson from “Flappy Bird”

Berkeley on the Web:

“Stress can damage the brain.” — Stress matters to brain’s white matter

Chloe Hunt is the blog editor. Contact her at [email protected]