Daily roundup: all of March 11′s need-to-know news from the Daily Cal

The daily roundup is a collection of the top stories to read from The Daily Californian. We’ve curated need-to-know articles from all sections of the Daily Cal to give you a quick glimpse at our news coverage.   

Top headlines to read:

“When a UC Berkeley student is sexually assaulted and reports the crime to police, the collection of biological evidence does not start at the campus health center but in a hospital in the next city over.” — Lack of on-campus ‘rape kits’ necessitates forensic exams in Oakland for student sexual assault cases

“For the first time, astronomers led by a team at UC Berkeley have peered into the heart of an exploding star, giving them unprecedented insight into the fundamental physics behind how stars crescendo into supernova explosions.” — UC Berkeley team gets unprecedented look at supernova explosions

“CalSERVE announced a 13-person senate slate Monday for this year’s ASUC elections, a slightly smaller slate than that of last year.” — CalSERVE announces 13 senatorial candidates for upcoming ASUC election

Sports tonight:

“Only one game remains before the cutthroat competition of the Pac-12 sets its sights on the Cal softball team.” — Cal softball hosts Ohio State in final tuneup before Pac-12 play begins

“There’s no more important time of the year for college basketball teams than the home stretch of conference play. The nonconference games of the previous year are distant memories. The results of early-season conference tilts can be deemed flukes or slow starts. But those late-season matchups are played under the scrutinizing eye of the bracketologists and bracket-lovers alike, lending an extra level of importance to each game.” — Cal men’s basketball’s defense needs to emerge from hibernation

Conversation starters:

“It’s no secret that UC Berkeley attracts intelligent and creative minds, but did you know it’s also a hot spot for adorable dogs?” — Adorable dogs you might meet on campus

“Develop the code for these money-makers, and you’ll be sure to have the attention of every UC Berkeley student.” — 7 apps we really want UC Berkeley students to create

Berkeley in the news: 

“A new fellowship program, the Hellman Graduate Awards, will support UC Berkeley doctoral students who exhibit the capacity for great distinction. This program is made possible by a multiyear grant totaling $1.47 million from the Hellman Fellows Fund, an organization established by Chris and Warren Hellman (1934-2011), a Berkeley alumnus.” — Gift to UC Berkeley establishes the Hellman Graduate Awards Program

Chloe Hunt is the blog editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @saidChloe.