BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 29, 2022

How to bake quinoa chocolate chip cookies

MARCH 14, 2014

Quinoa, the super healthy protein-packed grain, is no longer just for dinner. It can also be incorporated into desserts! We have a recipe for what might be the healthiest and most delicious cookie you will ever have: quinoa chocolate chip coconut cookies. We took our inspiration from this recipe, but we added our own touches, such as dried cranberries and a peanut butter coating.

Before you start baking, make sure you have measuring cups, 2 mixing bowls, a cooling rack, cookie sheets and a food processor. The entire recipe will take you about 45 minutes to bake.

What you’ll need: 

¼ cup organic white quinoa

1 cup flour (whole wheat or regular)

1 cup ground oats

½ teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

¼ cup melted coconut oil

¼ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Chocolate chips (to taste)

Coconut flakes (to taste)

Modifications: For more protein, spread peanut butter on top after the cookies have cooled, or add organic dried cranberries in addition to, or as a substitute for, chocolate chips.

Tip: If cooking quinoa is too challenging for you or you don’t have the 20 minutes it takes to cook, don’t worry. Trader Joe’s conveniently sells frozen quinoa that can be cooked in the microwave in just minutes.

What you’ll do:

1. Combine 1/4 cup of quinoa and 1/2 cup water in a pot. Bring the combination to a boil. When it boils, turn it down to simmer until the quinoa has absorbed all the water and is fluffy.

Making the cookies

1. Preheat your oven to 375.

2. Crush 1 cup of oats in a food processor.

3. In a mixing bowl, combine your dry ingredients: the flour, salt, oats, baking powder and baking soda.

4. In the microwave, melt 1/4 cup of coconut oil.

5. In a separate mixing bowl, combine your wet ingredients, starting with the coconut oil and Greek yogurt.

6. In the same bowl, add the eggs and then the vanilla.

7. Add the cooked quinoa to the wet ingredients.

8. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients from your first mixing bowl into the bowl of wet ingredients.

9. Add the coconut flakes, chocolate chips and dried cranberries.

10. Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper, and place your cookie dough on the sheets.

11. Bake your cookies in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes.

12. Remove from the oven, and let them sit for 5 minutes; then place on the cooling rack.

13. If you’re a fan, spread peanut butter on cookies.

The cookies will turn out soft and moist, with dominant flavors of coconut and chocolate. The quinoa can be seen in the cookies but doesn’t overpower the other flavors. These cookies can be compared to a softer oatmeal chocolate chip cookie. Who knew healthy baked goods could taste so good?

Contact Martha Morrissey at 

MARCH 13, 2014