Berkeley students become finalists in the Red Bull challenge

Three UC Berkeley students will head to Europe as finalists in the Red Bull “Can You Make It?” challenge.

100 teams were chosen from universities that spanned the six continents. To qualify for the competition, teams from all over the world were required to submit one-minute videos. Although UC Berkeley students had two of the top-voted videos, according to the official competition rules, Redbull had the final decision on which teams would participate in the Europe trip.

The video submitted by the winning team “All the Bay to Europe” received more than 2,000 votes, beating out schools such as Yale and Harvard (Stanford got only about 58 votes). The video shows three Red Bull junkies deciding to get involved in the competition. They rent a bike, hitch a ride on a trolley using their skateboards and even display their killer negotiation skills by convincing a salesperson to give them three tickets to Europe in exchange for just a few Red Bulls. You can watch their video below.

All the Bay to Europe from Jimmy Stewart on Vimeo.

The next part of the contest is like “The Amazing Race” but with a twist. Teams in this challenge will have to use nothing but Red Bull cans as currency. In two weeks, James Stewart, James Kollar and Milad Razavi from the team “All the Bay to Europe” will be arriving in one of four places — London, Paris, Milan or Vienna — where they will be given a welcome kit, a Moto G phone and 24 cans of Red Bull to use on their trip to Berlin. The journey begins 3 a.m. PDT on April 4 and ends at 5 p.m. CET on April 11.

Here’s an idea of how much purchasing power they have: a 24-pack, according to Amazon, costs $28.55 ($1.19/count). That sum is to be split between three people for a total of seven days, which means each person has about $1.36 to spend per day. Forget the museums, the European nightclubs and basically everything you thought Europe was — these guys are out to do the impossible. Not only will they have to travel, the team will also be tasked with completing checkpoint challenges that will require strategy, creativity and speed. Successful completion of the Checkpoint Challenge will result in the team being rewarded more cans of Red Bull.