More than 400 classrooms to be fitted with honor code plaques by end of spring break

In an attempt to promote a positive and honest campus environment, plaques of the UC Berkeley honor code will be placed in 36 general assignment classroom buildings by the end of spring break.

More than 400 classrooms in general assignment buildings, or buildings such as Wheeler and Dwinelle halls, which aren’t generally restricted to one major, will be home to these new plaques that read, “As a member of the UC Berkeley community, I act with honesty, integrity, and respect for others.” The point of the honor code, according to campus biology professor David Presti, is to make these concepts more a “part of the social consciousness of the campus.”

While the plans call for more than 400 plaques to be installed, the majority of the plaques are already on the walls of these general assignment classrooms, according to Mihir Deo, member of the honor code committee and former ASUC senator. By the end of spring break, the remaining rooms will have plaques.

The honor code was implemented during the 2012-2013 school year with help from the ASUC, honor code committee, facilities manager Ruben Mejia and the executive dean of the College of Letters and Science, Mark Richards.

“When these signs are installed, generations of students come in and look at the honor code and say, ‘Hey, we know our honor code,’ and hopefully in a few years, people will know it by heart,” Deo said.

In addition to the new plaques, the code has its own page on the ASUC website and will be printed on the back of Cal 1 cards starting this spring semester. Some professors and graduate student instructors have also begun to include the code in their syllabi.

The honor code was established during the 2012-13 school year and endorsed by the ASUC the same year. The plaque’s design was created by Innovative Design, a student design group.

“My expectation is that students follow the honor code and if we find violations of it, we deal with it appropriately,” said Adam Morgan, Astronomy C10 GSI. “For the most part, everyone is trustworthy, and, with very few exceptions, people are honest and follow the standards as expected.”