Picks of the Week: Fun on Friday

Check these Friday events out for something to cure that postbreak sadness.

‘Captain America: The Winter Soldier’

The next movie in the Marvel universe sees Chris Evans reprise his role as the star-spangled Avenger who now works for spy agency SHIELD in the modern day. Captain America faces a new foe known as the Winter Soldier while questioning SHIELD’s morally ambiguous actions.

First Friday

Oakland Art Murmur will be holding its monthly First Friday event packed with food trucks and free art gallery walks. Special events include the Aggregate Space Gallery’s work based on the most boring day in history (through nonboring pieces, of course). There will also be an artist talk for the Exit From Anonymous exhibit done by seven women in honor of International Women’s Month.

SUPERB Presents ‘Her’ in Wheeler Auditorium

The next film in SUPERB’s lineup is Spike Jonze’s “Her.” The film has numerous awards and nominations under its belt including an Oscar for original screenplay. The relationship between humans and computers is taken to a new, possibly alarming, level when Theodore Twombly (Joaquin Phoenix) develops an intimate relationship with his artificially intelligent operating system, Samantha (Scarlett Johansson).

CunninLynguists at the New Parish

Southern hip-hop trio CunninLynguists will be headlining the New Parish in Oakland with supporters J-Live, Sadistik and Nemo Achida. Known for sampling every genre under the sun for their work, CunninLynguists will be touring in support of their latest album, Strange Journey Volume Three. The album drops Tuesday and features artists such as Aesop Rock and the Bay Area’s own Del the Funky Homosapien.

Ian Birnam covers music. Contact him at [email protected].