BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 19, 2023

How to boil water successfully

JESSICA ROGNESS | STAFF

APRIL 01, 2014

One recipe that you need to have in your repertoire is how to boil water. Boiled water can be used to make a variety of gourmet dishes: white rice, chicken soup and, most importantly, every pasta dish ever.

Boiled water is a childhood favorite that will remind you of every Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner your mom ever cooked. So go ahead, treat yourself and learn how to boil water.

Water artisans all over the world debate about which method to use to boil water, but here is an easy recipe that you can make in any dorm or apartment kitchen. This recipe takes approximately 10 to 12 minutes and makes four cups of boiled water, about two mugs of tea or two cups of rice.

Here’s what you’ll need to boil water:

1edited

A pot
Water
Something you can use to heat the pot and water (a stove works best)

What you’ll do:

1. Fill a medium-sized pot halfway with water. A kitchen sink works best.

2edited
We heart tap water.

2. Place the pot of water on a stove burner.

3edited
Perfect alignment of the pot with the burner is crucial.

3. Turn on the stove. There isn’t an agreement on what the appropriate setting truly is, but chefs typically turn it on to the highest setting.

Now you're cooking!
Now you’re cooking!

4. Watch the pot of water carefully. It should start to bubble. Don’t stick your finger in it though.

Don't.
Don’t.

5. When large bubbles start appearing in the water and the surface of the water looks as wavy as the ocean, turn down the heat, before the water explodes out of the pot.

Bubbles!
Everyone loves bubbles!

6. Turn off the stove. Remove from heat by using a towel or this thing called an oven mitt.

7edited
But you can get good results with a towel.

7. Congratulate yourself! You have boiled water.

Boiled water is the basis of every other recipe you will attempt in college. Also, it’s a healthier alternative to a lot of other cooking bases, especially heated butter or boiling chicken broth.

Finally, as we often like to support different lifestyles on Eating Berkeley, this recipe can easily be made vegan.

Happy April Fool’s Day from the Clog! 

Jessica Rogness is an assistant blog editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @jessarogness.

APRIL 01, 2014