Picks of the Week: Science, Slasher and SUPERB

Wikimedia Commons/Courtesy

Contrary to popular belief,  there remain loads of entertainment events this week to break away from the postbreak, midsemester rut.

Pixar co-founder on “Creativity” at BAM

Any self-professed nonfan of Pixar definitely ranks among the world’s worst liars. For insights into the creative processes behind the scenes, check out the talk by president and co-founder Edwin Catmull at BAM on Monday at 7:30 p.m. Tickets also include copies of his book, which he’ll sign afterward if you stick around.

Avey Tare’s Slasher Flicks: “Enter the Slasher House”

Those who know Animal Collective and Dirty Projectors would likely expect a collaboration between the two to border on unlistenable in its try-hardiness. Surprisingly, the folky psychedelica of Avey Tare’s Slasher Flicks comes across pretty smoothly. Watch the video for their single, “Little Fang,” or wait until Tuesday for the drop of Enter the Slasher House.

SUPERB Comedy: Chelsea Peretti at Wheeler

She’s been featured on the Sarah Silverman Program, Tosh.0, Louie and Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Now, she can add Wheeler Auditorium to her prestigious resume. Congratulations, Chelsea Peretti, you’ve made it to the big leagues. Chuckle at Chelsea’s witticisms Wednesday at 8 p.m. for just $3 with a Cal ID (or $5 without).

Cosmic NightLife at the California Academy of Sciences

If there’s anything that could possibly make science any more interesting, it’s alcohol. Take a journey to the Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park on Thursday evening for some good, tipsy, scientific fun. It’s 21-plus with $12 admission, but this NightLife event features spaceship simulators, planetarium screenings and other special guests and events.

Contact Erik Weiner at [email protected].