Defend Affirmative Action Party drops charges against Elections Council

Defend Affirmative Action Party has decided to drop all charges alleging candidate harassment and violation of ASUC and U.S.  constitutional rights against the Elections Council and attorney general Kevin Sabo.

DAAP filed charges with the Judicial Council on Monday against ASUC Attorney General Kevin Sabo and the Elections Council, alleging harassment of the party’s candidates by an Elections Council member and that the Elections Council placed invasive restrictions on campaigning not in the bylaws. In a charge sheet, DAAP accused the Elections Council of creating new laws, without the approval of the ASUC Senate, that were unconstitutional under the ASUC and U.S. constitutions.

The party notified Sabo in an email Tuesday that it would be withdrawing all charges against Sabo and the Elections Council as well as its request for a Judicial Council hearing.

According to Sabo, he and the Elections Council will move forward in filing various briefs with the Judicial Council against DAAP candidates, including charges regarding the failure of 13  DAAP candidates to stay for the full duration of a mandatory candidates meeting.

Jane Nho is the lead student government reporter. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @JaneNho.