Detox water: simple, healthy and delicious

Eunice Choi/Staff

Let’s start off with some basic math: If water — one essential thing we all need — and nutritious foods full of vitamins, antioxidants and more come together, what’s the only thing that can happen? A beverage that simultaneously hydrates and boosts your body with things that can only be good for you, commonly known as detox water.

Detox water is naturally flavored water that encourages individuals undergoing a four- to seven-day detox cleansing to consume more water while avoiding solid foods to help flush out the toxins in their body, specifically the liver. With the right additions, such as cayenne and cinnamon, detox water can gain a notable boost in effectiveness, because many spices are known to have fantastic benefits such as increased metabolism and soothing colds. Other popular ingredients, like citrus fruits, ginger and mint leaves, are great as well but are geared more toward adding crisp and sweet notes to otherwise “boring” water that some people struggle to drink each day.

Below are five of Eating Berkeley’s favorite detox water recipes that balance both flavor and health benefits. Whether going through a detox or not, water infused with fruits, spices and mint is simply a great way to make plain ol’ water more interesting.

And just some kind advice: Don’t do a detox until you’ve done some in-depth research to help prepare you for a process that requires you drinking solely water and having supplements! Otherwise, make do with these wonderful recipes.

Directions for all detox water recipes: Place the ingredients into a pitcher or water bottle, refrigerate overnight so water is infused with the ingredients, and drink away.

DIY Apple Cinnamon Detox Water
by Art Sea Chic

• 1 apple, sliced (any kind, Fuji recommended)
  • 3 to 4 cinnamon sticks
  • 2 liters of water

Lemon Mint Cucumber Ginger Detox Water
by FitSugar

• 1 lemon, thinly sliced — or squeeze juices into pitcher
  • 10 to 15 fresh mint leaves
  • 1/2 cucumber, sliced
  • Ginger, thin slices (adjust to preference)
  • 1 to 2 liters of water

Watermelon Mint Detox Water
by everyday roots

• Preferred amount of watermelon, cubed
  • 1 lime wedge
  • 10 to 15 fresh mint leaves
  • 1 to 2 liters of water

Blackberry Sage Detox Water
by slifkafood

• 1 cup of blackberries, slightly crushed
  • 3 to 4 sage leaves
  • 10 cups of water

Dieter’s Dream Water
by ArtandtheKitchen

• 2 liters of water
  • 1 lemon, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
  • Cilantro, small bunch with stems cut off
  • Italian parsley, small bunch with stems cut off
  • Handful of frozen cranberries

Contact Eunice Choi at [email protected].