Picks of the Week

Wikimedia Commons/Courtesy

Avoid having to inevitably catch up on your workload as the end of the semester approaches with these upcoming attractions.

tUnE-yArDs at the Chapel

In the midst of the forthcoming release of new album Nikki Nack, Converse Rubber Tracks Live is hosting a free concert with tUnE-yArDs in San Francisco on Monday. Following the experimental worldbeat flavors of 2011’s w h o k i l l, frontwoman Merrill Garbus studied both Haitian dance and drumming. This sonic expansion will surely impress when the band plays across the Bay.

‘Brick Mansions’

The shock of Paul Walker’s death last year caused viewers to re-evaluate the clout of his career. Sure, he will posthumously reprise his role as an action star when “Brick Mansions” hits theaters Friday. But this time, he will play an undercover cop in dystopian Detroit, putting a twist on the action genre and hopefully the recognition of his career as well.

‘The Something’

The Something” is a continuation of the experimental activities held at BAM/PFA with “The Possible.” On Friday at 7:30 p.m., participants can perform seemingly modest acts such as plucking a string, picking up fabric or holding a video camera. These actions will build into a stockpile of sounds and visuals through which the project will turn the spectator into both an actor and observer.

The Dillinger Escape Plan

The Dillinger Escape Plan is infamous for having one of the most head-banging sets in circulation around the metal scene. So get ready to join the wall of death when they hit the DNA Lounge in San Francisco on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. Don’t stand too close to the stage unless you want to leave with more than a few bruises.

Contact Caitlin Kelley at [email protected].