Carla Hesse appointed as executive dean for College of Letters and Science

Carla Hesse, history professor and dean of the Division of Social Sciences in the College of Letters and Science, was appointed as the executive dean of the college, Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Claude Steele announced Tuesday.

Hesse has been a faculty member of the UC Berkeley history department since 1989. In 2009, she was selected as both the Peder Sather Professor of History and the dean of the Division of Social Sciences in the College of Letters and Science.

Under these positions, Hesse has been the driving force behind many significant developments in the UC Berkeley community. These include opening the Social Science Data Laboratory and the Social Science Matrix last spring and creating a council of humanities and social science deans.

Effective July 1, Hesse will be succeeding Executive Dean Mark Richards, who has held this position since 2006.

Richards has had numerous accomplishments as executive dean, including tripling the amount of fundraising for the College of Letters and Science, integrating different disciplines to create the innovative “Big Ideas” courses for undergraduates and offering teaching development workshops for Letters and Science faculty.

Richards will now step down from the administration and will serve as a professor of earth and planetary science, pursuing research in geology.

“I greatly appreciate Mark Richards for his service to the College of L&S, and I very much look forward to working with Carla in her new role,” Steele said in an email to students.

Contact Becca Benham at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @beccabenhamdc.