Man arrested Sunday morning after alleged altercation in fraternity house parking lot

Update 4/30/2014: Frank Watson was charged with two counts of attempted murder and two counts of assault with a deadly weapon. Read more here.  

A man was arrested for allegedly hitting two men with a baseball bat at a campus fraternity house early Sunday morning.

At about 1:25 a.m., Berkeley Police Department responded to a report of assault with a deadly weapon at the back parking lot of the fraternity house, located on the 2700 block of Durant Avenue near College Avenue, according to BPD spokesperson Officer Jennifer Coats. Berkeleyside first reported about the incident Monday afternoon.

While BPD could not confirm the name or exact location of the fraternity, the Zeta Psi house is the closest fraternity to College Avenue on the 2700 block of Durant with a rear parking lot leading to Durant Avenue.

According to witness reports, two groups got into a verbal altercation outside the fraternity, which soon turned violent. After a vehicle pulled into the house’s parking lot, one of the groups moved toward the vehicle, and 23-year-old Oakland man Frank Watson — whose affiliation with the campus is unknown — took a baseball bat from the trunk, police said.

Watson then allegedly struck two people over the head without warning. The suspect fled the scene in the vehicle, police said. The two victims were transported to a nearby hospital for their injuries.

BPD officers located the vehicle about an hour after the incident was reported and arrested Watson on suspicion of attempted homicide, assault with a deadly weapon and probation violation.

It was not confirmed as of Monday night if any involved parties are UC Berkeley students and if alcohol was a factor in the incident. Zeta Psi could not be reached for comment.

Watson is currently being held in Berkeley City Jail without bail. His arraignment is scheduled for Tuesday at 2 p.m. at Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse in Oakland.

Contact Michelle Pitcher at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @michellepitcher.