The best drunk foods to get in Berkeley depending on your state of mind

Although the munchies are a well-known effect of smoking or consuming marijuana, the “drunchies,” or drunk munchies, are an equally intense feeling many people get after drinking even just a little bit of alcohol. And in Berkeley, people often want to find the best food for their situations. Here are the places you should definitely go to, ranked by how much alcohol you’ve consumed.

1. Kind-of-buzzed-but-definitely-functional drunk

drunk 1

You haven’t had that much to drink, and you’re feeling so ambitious to attain the perfect meal that you’ll go far out of your way to search for it. Check out great pizza from Jupiter (open until 1:30 a.m. on Friday and Saturday), or get breakfast food from People’s Coffee and Tea (open until midnight) in Downtown Berkeley.

2. Post-power-hour drunk

drunk 2

You’re hammered. You NEED food more than anything else right now, but you’re not willing to go that far. But we urge you not to simply default and go to Asian Ghetto. Explore your other options, like Free House (open until midnight) or Artichoke Basille’s deliciously cheesy pizza (open until 3 a.m. on Friday and Saturday).

3. On-the-verge-of-passing-out drunk

drunk 3

You’re on the verge of passing out, but you know you should eat before you wake up with a pounding hangover the next morning. But you’re physically incapable of going anywhere, so the only answer is delivery. Before browsing Seamless for hours deciding which place is best, we suggest getting food from West Coast Pizza (open until 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday) or looking through berkeley.eat24hours.com to narrow your options down by location, cuisine and price.

4. Cross-faded drunk

drunk4

You have the munchies and the drunchies, so the craving is real. At this point, you will settle for anything. You should go for the classics: Top Dog (open until 3 a.m. on Friday and Saturday) or Thai Basil (open until midnight). You really can’t go wrong, but even if you do, you’ll still be in a fantastic mood.

5. Morning-after drunk

drunk5

You need a nice plate of waffles, french toast or eggs — or a combination of all three. It’s time to eat food to soak up all that leftover alcohol in your system, which means a nice big brunch. Elmwood Cafe (opens at 7 a.m.) is always a reliable option for a great breakfast, or head over to Gourmet Ghetto and check out Guerilla Cafe (opens at 8 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday) before getting a burst of caffeine from Philz Coffee (opens at 7 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday).

Illustrations by Chloe Tarrasch

Contact Chloe Tarrasch at [email protected].