Ditch the cup and still get the caffeine

It’s 10 p.m. on a Wednesday night; your two textbooks and three readers are spread out in front of you — and you are in desperate need of caffeine. Unfortunately, you can’t handle a black, bitter cup of coffee right now, but how else are you going to stay awake? For those of you who want to actually eat something that’ll help you stay up, try these unique sources of caffeine.

Clif Peanut Toffee Buzz and Clif Cool Mint Chocolate

Clif

Actual energy bars, Clif Peanut Toffee Buzz and Clif Cool Mint Chocolate bars contain 50 milligrams of caffeine — which is equivalent to the amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee. Best thing about buying Clif bars? You can use your meal points to buy them!

Lipton tea

Iced Tea

Tea is also a popular source of caffeine. Lipton teas — including the brand’s green teas — have anywhere from 10 to 55 milligrams of caffeine, depending on the type. It’s not as bitter and doesn’t keep you up for as long, but it does taste good and serves its purpose.

Ice cream (especially coffee-flavored)

CREAM Ice cream sandwich

It’s not like UC Berkeley students need another reason to stop by C.R.E.A.M., but coffee-flavored ice cream can give you a kick without forcing you to stay up until dawn. The sugar combined with the small amount of caffeine will help you get through your three chapters of reading without killing you.

Soda

Mt Dew

Soda is also a popular form of caffeine, but make sure you research whether that particular brand has caffeine in it. Mountain Dew and Pepsi are two popular sodas that contain caffeine.

Chocolate

Dark Chocolate

The darker the chocolate, the more caffeine it has. The more chocolate you have, the happier you become. One ounce of dark chocolate has about 12 milligrams of caffeine, but who actually stops at one ounce?

Caffeinated mints and gum

Jolt

If you want the same amount of caffeine found in a cup of coffee without having to drink it, try eating one Foosh mint, two pieces of Jolt gum or three pieces of Penguin’s caffeinated mints. You may have to order these online, but it’s great for caffeine on the go!

SumSeeds Energized Sunflower Seeds

Sunflower Seeds

This is another product you might have to purchase online, but it is a healthier alternative to a cup of joe and contains about 140 milligrams of caffeine for a 1.75-ounce bag.

Caffeinated oatmeal

Oatmeal

Sold at Walmart, caffeinated oatmeal is also a good source of caffeine in the morning. Morning Spark Oatmeal is one of the more popular brands in this unique food genre and packs about as much caffeine in one serving as a cup of coffee.

Perky Jerky

Beef Jerky

For the brave souls who want to mix their meat with caffeine, try Perky Jerky. Sold at Target, fitness stores, Home Depot and Best Buy, Perky Jerky is fairly easy to obtain, and with a loaded 150 milligrams of caffeine per ounce, Perky Jerky will definitely give you the kick you need.

Mixing coffee in your parfait

Parfait

For the really desperate souls who want something semihealthy but really need a kick of caffeine, try pouring some instant coffee mix into your yogurt parfait. Mix it well, and eat away! It won’t taste as good as some of the other options, but it’ll get the job done.

Image Source: YoungToymaker, Garrett Miller, MzScarlett / A.K.A. Michelle, Rik Panganiban, Louish Pixel, ulterior epicure, h8rnet, Dominic Alves, [email protected], ryan.dowd, and Carl Black

Contact Ilaf Esuf at [email protected].