Make paying for college easier this summer

Tax Credits /Courtesy

You know the toll of college expenses has hit you hard when you decide to start buying groceries at the Dollar Tree instead of at Target, but there are a few ways to alleviate that pain. Even though summer just started, planning ahead and applying for scholarships may ease a lot of the burden down the line. Here’s a list of scholarships that can help make your life a little bit better:

ScholarshipExperts.com
Deadline: Varies

Requirements include that the applicants must be 13 or older, a U.S. resident and enrolled in school. Usually, the links lead to small essay prompts requiring less than 500 words, and the rewards range from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars. If you find yourself with some extra time on your hands, click on the links and apply — an hour of work could essentially lead to a year of not having to work an extra job.

College Prowler
Deadline: Varies

Scholarships found on College Prowler don’t even require essays. With deadlines at the end of every month, students are simply put into a drawing to win a variety of awards ranging from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand. There might be a one-in-a-million chance you’ll win, but it requires very little effort to try, so why not sign up?

Advice to Your High School Self
Deadline: June 30

Any student enrolled at a college or university could be eligible to win $5,000 for answering a simple prompt: What advice would you give your high school self? Scholarship providers recommend that the essays focus on real-life experience and express genuineness.

LTC Karen J. Wagner Scholarship Fund
Deadline: May 31

Students who are the son or daughter of an active-duty, retired, reserve or deceased member of any branch of the armed forces are encouraged to apply. The award, based on academic merit, financial need, demonstration of social commitment and leadership potential, will provide students with up to $1,000.

BigSun Scholarship
Deadline: June 20

Any athlete currently attending college is encouraged to apply by submitting an essay answering the following prompt: “How has your participation in sports affected who you are and how you relate to others? Include the effects on your personal relationships with peers and others.” Simply email the essay to [email protected], and wait for winners to be announced.

Gen and Kelly Tanabe Scholarship
Deadline: July 31

This scholarship, named after two best-selling authors on education, awards students with $1000. Any college student is encouraged to apply.

Image Source: Tax Credits under Creative Commons dit

Contact Ilaf Esuf at [email protected].