5 places to shop when you’re short on cash

Kevin Foote/Staff

Shopping on a student budget? So are we. Although shopping trips to San Francisco can be fun, they usually leave us with a huge hole in our wallets. So here’s a list of thrift shops in Berkeley to help you make your dollar go further.

Crossroads Trading Co.

See that bus stop right out front?

See that bus stop right out front?

Berkeley is home to two Crossroads Trading Co. shops, one at 2338 Shattuck Ave. and the other at 5901 College Ave. Crossroads specializes in clothing for both men and women and sells accessories such as handbags and shoes. Out of all the thrift shops we saw, Crossroads had the greatest selection of shoes. In case you’re trying to sell that pair of black heels you wore to that one party and can’t see yourself wearing ever again, Crossroads also buys clothing and accessories. According to its website, you can either get cash or store credit for bringing in gently used items.

Out of the Closet

51774913_1bf39c8f4d_z

Located at 1600 University Ave, Out of the Closet is a thrift shop with a purpose: For every dollar, 96 cents go to AIDS Healthcare Foundation. In addition to clothing, you can pick up kitchenware, furniture, books and other home decor here.

Mars Mercantile

248140

Just two blocks down Telegraph Avenue from campus, Mars Mercantile specializes in vintage clothing. Some of the clothing is organized by decade, so if you’re looking for a ’20s-style flapper dress for that Great Fratsby party, this is the place to search. They also have a wide range of costume attire, a rack dedicated entirely to sequin and lots of lace.

Buffalo Exchange

ca1-out-lg

Buffalo Exchange carries a large number of designer items, so if you’re looking for a pair of True Religion jeans, this might be your best bet. This store also buys clothing, and its website says to give them a call to see what kind of clothing and accessories they are currently interested in purchasing. Buffalo Exchange is located at 2585 Telegraph Ave.

Berkeley Flea Market

58903654_0fb57b3944_z

Open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. every Saturday and Sunday, the Berkeley Flea Market makes for a great weekend adventure for you and your group of friends. Vendors fill the Ashby BART parking lot, selling anything from socks to incense. Even if you don’t find anything that suits your fancy, the drum performance outside the doors to the Ashby BART station is sure to entertain.

Image Source: Rich Andersoneventseeker, Buffalo Exchange, IvyMike

Contact Elise Lagana-Aliotti at [email protected]