La Val’s Pizza brings great Italian food to Northside

Good Italian food is a must in a college student’s life. Whether it’s pizza, pasta or a calzone, Italian joints always offer a variety of dishes that can appeal to almost everyone’s taste buds and dietary preferences. And while Southside has Gypsy’s Trattoria Italiana, Northside has La Val’s Pizza.

Screen Shot 2014-05-27 at 6.23.27 PMLocated on Euclid Avenue, La Val’s Pizza has been part of the “Berkeley tradition” since 1951. Decorated with diner-style tables, and records and posters ornamenting the walls, it has a vibrant atmosphere that makes it the perfect place to relax and hang out with friends. It also has a pool table and arcade games, as well as an outside seating area.

Its menu has delicious pizza options that only cost $5.99. Its options include the Athenian Pizza, which has Kalamata olives, roasted red peppers, spinach, red onions, olive oil and Feta cheese, as well as La Val’s Special Pizza, made from pepperoni, salami, linguica, beef, black olives, sausage, mushrooms, bell peppers and onions. And if you’re not satisfied with any of its unique selections, you always have the option of building your own pizza for somewhere between $5 and $6.

La Val’s Pizza also offers a series of different pasta dishes that range from $5 to $8. The fettuccine alfredo was the perfect combination of cream and carbohydrates and was a definite challenger to Gypsy’s dish of the same name. The pesto and penne was equally as delicious. Composed of sauteed eggplant, red onion and mushrooms in a creamy pesto sauce, it was filling and managed to strike the right balance between the flavor of the vegetables and the pesto sauce. The pasta menu also has dishes such as lasagna with fresh meat and chicken parmesan pasta. All pasta dishes are made fresh and are served with two slices of garlic bread.

Screen Shot 2014-05-27 at 6.23.34 PMThe menu also includes items such as sandwiches, which are all served fresh from the oven with potato salad and a pickle spear as well as salads and sides such as spicy chicken wings and fried cheese sticks. The selection of food is well balanced between vegetarian and non vegetarian options, and La Val’s is open to slightly amending its recipes to fit your preferences.

Aside from its delicious food, La Val’s Pizza is also famous for its Impact Theatre, which is located on the lower level of the establishment. According to its website, the theater showcases new and exciting productions that do not “conform to traditional assumptions of what constitutes high culture.”

Overall, La Val’s Pizza is definitely a place to consider when looking for some good food on Northside. It’s cheap and has a vast menu and a vibrant atmosphere that will serve as the perfect place for a study break and an appetizing meal.

Contact Spandana Singh at [email protected].