Two men arrested on suspicion of armed robbery

A male UC Berkeley student and a man whose affiliation with the campus is unknown were robbed at gunpoint early Tuesday morning.

Two men unaffiliated with the campus allegedly robbed an 18-year-old student near the intersection of Durant and College avenues, according to a UCPD crime alert released Thursday. Police said one of the two men pointed a gun at the student and took his wallet and cell phone, among other items.

The student flagged down a UCPD officer around 1:30 a.m. Police then broadcasted a description of the suspects and the suspect vehicle, a gray 1991 four-door Mercedes, according to the alert. Berkeley Police Department later located a vehicle matching the description.

Meanwhile, a 33-year-old man reported being struck with a gun and robbed outside of Durant Hotel. A gun and the victims’ property were found in the stopped car, police said. The victims positively identified the men in the vehicle as suspects, according to the alert.

Police arrested Matthew Simpkins, 24, and Ryan Wong, 26, on suspicion of armed robbery.

Wong is being held at the Santa Rita Jail with bail set at $125,000, and Simpkins is held at Berkeley Jail with bail set at $315,000. Both men had arraignments scheduled for 2 p.m. Thursday at the Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse in Oakland.

Melissa Wen is a news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @melissalwen.