Police still investigating West Berkeley shooting

Alvin Wu/Staff

Police have yet to make an arrest two days after a shooting late Saturday night in West Berkeley that wounded two teenagers.

At approximately 10:49 p.m., Berkeley Police Department officers responded to a disturbance in connection to a party at La Quinta Inn when 911 calls came in reporting gunshots in the area, according to a BPD press release. Upon arriving at the inn, police found two males with gunshot wounds.

BPD spokesperson Officer Jennifer Coats said in an email that the two victims, aged 16 and 19, are from Berkeley. According to the press release, the victims suffered nonlife-threatening injuries and were transported by Berkeley Fire Department to a local hospital.

According to Coats, the two victims were shot in front of the hotel entrance. Police recovered two replica firearms behind the hotel along with shell casings at the scene. The press release named a white sedan that was seen driving east on University Avenue as a possible suspect vehicle.

Hotel guest David Meideo said he witnessed three individuals shot and laying on the ground in front of the hotel when he walked downstairs from his room after hearing multiple gunshots. Meideo called the scene “ugly.”

Police have only confirmed the existence of two victims, and the investigation is ongoing.

Tommy Wallace, a Berkeley resident who lives next to the inn, said he watched as people fled the scene.

“I saw a light-colored sedan and a red SUV in tandem full of kids, boys and girls. They were going over this fence, jumping into those cars,” Wallace said.

The inn’s general manager Joy Davis said she was unable to comment on the specifics of the incident but added, “It is a really unfortunate situation, and we pray for the families.”

Contact Brennan MacLean at [email protected].