Police arrest man on suspicion of assault with firearm after South Berkeley shooting

Kimberly Veklerov/Senior Staff

Update 6/12/2014: This article has been updated to reflect new information from Berkeley Police Department and Alameda County Inmate Locator. 

Berkeley Police Department responded to a shooting near the intersection of Russell and California streets around 4:30 p.m. Wednesday and arrested a man on suspicion of assault with a firearm later that evening.

After receiving multiple 911 calls, police found one male gunshot victim immediately upon arriving at the scene, according to BPD spokesperson Officer Jennifer Coats. They later located another male victim.

One victim is 21 years old and the age of the other is unknown, Coats said. Both appeared to suffer from non-life-threatening injuries and were transported to a local hospital. Initial reports via police scanner indicated that one victim was shot in the leg, and the other was shot in the arm and hand.

Just after 6 p.m., officers arrested Charles Wood, 21, on suspicion of assault with a firearm and receiving known stolen property with a value of more than $400. Both would be felony charges.

Wood’s arraignment is scheduled for Friday at 2 p.m. in Oakland’s Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse. He is being held at the Berkeley Jail with bail set at $80,000.

Officers left the area around 7:50 p.m., according to Coats. Police have not yet disclosed details of Wood’s alleged involvement in the shooting incidents.

A resident who lives a block away at McGee Avenue and Russell Street, and who requested anonymity for fear of personal safety, reported hearing several rounds of gunshots around 4:40 p.m. 

Nathan Glasper, 80, had just come back from the gym when he said he heard 10 successions of “pa pa pa pow.”

“And I said, ‘Oh, that’s not firecrackers, those are gunshots,'” Glasper said.

Glasper, who lives on the corner of California and Julia streets, said he was worried about the daycare inside the YMCA near the shooting. Most police were gathered outside 1611 Russell and several were situated outside the YMCA in the hours following the shooting.

Kimberly Veklerov is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @KVeklerov.