8 things you didn’t know about Cafe Durant

Lorenz Angelo Gonzales/Staff

Cafe D — our beloved place to grab a casual pitcher, play loud drinking games or pig out on cheap tacos every Tuesday. What most people don’t know is that Cafe D is actually much more than Taco Tuesday and beer. From its sunny outdoor patio to its neverending specials, here are some fun facts about Cafe D!

1) Deals on deals on deals

Though Cafe D is most known for its $1 tacos and $2 Coronas on Taco Tuesday, it has all around great weekday deals. First off, Cafe D has happy hour from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. every weekday. That’s right folks, Monday to Friday afternoons you can get any entree for $5, beer for $2 or combo for $6. In addition to that incredible weeklong deal, it also has a Wing Wednesday special with 45-cent wings and a Thirsty Thursday special with $2 Pabst Blue Ribbon pints and $3 margaritas.

2) Speaking of tacos…

lorenz_cafedurant_006

When most people think of Cafe Durant tacos, they think of the small, 2 inch in diameter tacos served during the ever-popular Taco Tuesday. But if you venture into the land of Cafe D tacos on any day that is not Tuesday, you will find that its tacos are actually huge. These tacos are at least 3.5 inches in diameter, jam-packed with meat and all the toppings, and come with a generous helping of beans and rice on the side. It might not be gourmet Mexican food, but hey, it’s decent quality and quantity. What more can you ask for?

3) Cafe Durant takes Cal 1 Card.

Oddly enough, paying for food with Cal 1 debit money feels a lot better than paying with an actual debit card. If you just have a little extra laundry money to blow, you’re in luck! Spend your Cal1 debit money on some tasty Cafe D treats.

4) Breakfast is served all day.

Contrary to popular belief, Cafe D isn’t just a late night drinking place. It opens at 7:30 every morning, and it serves up some huge portions for every meal. You can get fruit-filled pancakes such as the strawberry and white chocolate pancakes for $5.25, both sweet and savory crepes for $5.95 and much more from 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

5) Cafe Durant changed its logo at least three times.

Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 6.10.13 PM

Fun fact, right?

6) Dice

Don’t limit yourself when it comes to drinking games. Cafe D allows you to truly expand your horizons by providing the opportunity to rent dice from them for a small security deposit of $2 — you’ll get your money back as long as you don’t walk out with its dice.

7) Impressive juice machine.

lorenz_cafedurant_020

Has anyone ever noticed that Cafe D has a massive, industrial-sized juicer behind the counter? This thing is Jamba Juice status and tastes like it too. Cafe D’s orange juice is probably one of its highest-quality products. The best thing about its OJ is that it’s used for mixing the delicious mimosas.

8) The bathroom in the back.

That’s right folks, there are two bathrooms in Cafe Durant. Are you sick and tired of waiting in line for that single-stall bathroom while your peers take their sweet time? Just ask the wonderful staff at the register if you can use their bathroom in the back!

Image Sources: cafedurantsceneshot

Contact Claralyse Palmer at [email protected]