One victim suffers serious injuries after shooting Thursday night

Sophie Mattson/Staff

A shooting was reported around 9:55 p.m. Thursday near San Pablo and Ashby avenues, and one victim, a 38-year-old Berkeley resident, was transported to Highland Hospital in Oakland for injuries.

According to Berkeley Fire Department Battalion Chief Bill Kehoe, the initial report indicated that a male victim sustained multiple gunshot wounds at 3045 San Pablo Ave., the location of a liquor store. Around 10:15 p.m., the victim was in midtransport to the hospital via ambulance.

Initial police scanner traffic indicated that a male suspect with teeth missing allegedly fled the scene riding a mountain bicycle. Berkeley Police Department could not immediately be reached Thursday night because it was in the middle of an emergency, according to a dispatcher.

A man who witnessed the incident and requested anonymity for fear of personal safety said the shooting happened right outside the store. The man said he had seen the victim and suspect together on several occasions and that they appeared to know each other. He said both were riding bicycles.

Police developed information leading them to believe that the suspect may have fled to a residential area near Ashby Avenue and Mabel Street, according to a Friday morning BPD press release. Officers were also investigating a nearby residence on Burnett Street, but they could not locate a suspect.

Check back for updates.

Staff writer Sophie Mattson contributed to this report.

Kimberly Veklerov is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @KVeklerov.