Police say shooting suspect should be considered “armed and dangerous”

Anthony Durant

Berkeley Police Department arrested an Oakland man Thursday morning in connection with a shooting in South Berkeley two weeks ago and continue to actively search for a second suspect in the case.

After serving four search warrants for various locations in Berkeley and Oakland, police arrested Donzale Mejia, 22, on suspicion of assault with a firearm. The second arrest warrant was for Berkeley resident Anthony Durant, 23, who police say should be considered “armed and dangerous.”

Police responded to a shooting on the afternoon of June 11 near the intersection of Russell and California streets. Two men, ages 18 and 21, were treated at a local hospital for non-life-threatening injuries.

Mejia is currently being held in Berkeley Jail with bail set at $60,000. His arraignment is scheduled for Monday at 2 p.m. in Oakland’s Wiley W Manuel Courthouse.

The arraignment of another man arrested in connection with the shooting, 21-year-old Charles Wood, was cancelled two weeks ago. BPD spokesperson Officer Jennifer Coats did not immediately know why his arraignment was cancelled.

BPD requested that anyone with information regarding Durant’s whereabouts call its Homicide Detail at 510-981-5741 or 510-981-5900. Those who wish to remain anonymous can call Bay Area Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

Kimberly Veklerov is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @KVeklerov.