Things to do this weekend instead of partying

Sharon Hahn Darlin/Creative Commons

It’s a beautiful night, and you’re looking for something fun to do. If you’re tired of getting drunk at the same old frat parties, don’t worry — the Clog has got you covered. Here are some activities you can do in the weekend besides going out to drink:

1. Climb Doe Library

doe library

You don’t want to be drunk or high for this one! It’s potentially dangerous and not officially sanctioned, but it’s possible to climb Doe Library and sit in between the pillars. On the side facing the campanile, you can climb over the gap between Doe and the short building next to it, then carefully make your way to the front of Doe. In this picture, where you’d sit is the height of the lamppost, so be careful not to slip and fall.

2. Stargazing at Lawrence Hall of Science

The hills above UC Berkeley are a great vantage point for stargazing, so go to the plaza of the Lawrence Hall of Science for the perfect view of the constellations. A comfy blanket under a starry sky is a good way to get to know someone special. Bring your own binoculars or telescopes if you have them!

3. 924 Gilman Street 

924 gilman

If you’re looking for good quality but inexpensive live music, definitely check out 924 Gilman. An iconic place to those who love rock music, many of the Bay Area’s punk rock bands made their breakthroughs here. They don’t allow food, alcohol or drugs, making it cleaner than typical clubs or bars. Tickets range from $5 to $10, with a $2 membership fee because the Gilman is a volunteer, not-for-profit space.

4. 4th of July at Berkeley Marina

berkeley marina

Who doesn’t want to relive their childhood at a good old 4th of July fair? Running from noon to 10 p.m. this year, the fair is completely free and features live entertainment, food trucks, dragon boat rowing and fireworks over the beach. Take the 51B all the way to Berkeley Marina to get there.

5. Film night in San Francisco

Film Night in the Park presents movies on a huge outdoor screen in different locations in San Francisco, all for free! This summer’s movies include “Despicable Me 2,” “Monsters University,” “Silver Linings Playbook,” the “Lego Movie” and “Frozen.” Bring warm clothes, a blanket and pillows to snuggle with your friends.

6. Grizzly Peak

grizzly peak

Sort of like the intense version of the Big C, Grizzly Peak offers an amazing view of the entire bay. The sunrises and sunsets are absolutely gorgeous. Stop by Tilden Park during the day to visit the lake, petting zoo and carousel, and then drive to Grizzly Peak for a nice picnic.

Image Sources: Sharon Hahn Darlin under Creative Commons, Image 1, Image 2, Image 3, Image 4

Contact Katy Yuan at [email protected].