Escape from reality at OMESCAPE

Alli Zheng/Courtesy

If you’re looking for a fun activity to do with friends that’s more active than watching Netflix on the couch for 10 hours straight, OMESCAPE is a great bet.

IMG_4133.JPG-2

OMESCAPE is home to second-generation real escape games. If the concept of real escape games is new to you, check out this video from OMESCAPE for an introduction. Basically, you and a group of friends are trying to escape from a room in an hour or less by solving puzzles using clues inside the room. According to Alli Zheng, a co-owner of OMESCAPE and a UC Berkeley alumna, OMESCAPE differs from other real escape games in the United States because it uses tech-enabled puzzles.

“We wanted to connect people in real time,” Zheng said. “Instead of typing on the phone or laptop all day, let’s take one hour off from them and have some real fun with real friends.”

To come in and test your puzzle-solving ability, you will need to make a reservation online. Admission is $28 per person.

“We currently do not offer any special deals but would be open to large group discount if more than 30 people,” said Zheng. “We are planning on reaching out to Berkeley student clubs to host events.”

IMG_4134.JPG

OMESCAPE has two rooms to chose from: Room Omega and the Penitentiary. In order to have enough people to solve all the puzzles in one hour, the OMESCAPE website provides both a minimum and maximum for each room. Room Omega is built for four to eight participants, while the Penitentiary is for six to 10 people. OMESCAPE is opening a new room, Forgotten Treasure, around Aug. 15, that is optimized for four to 10 participants.

Located in Richmond at 5327 Jacuzzi St. Suite 3H, OMESCAPE is a 15-minute drive away from campus. If you have any questions, you can call OMESCAPE at (510) 969-0899 or email them at [email protected] They are open Wednesday through Sunday.

Contact Elise Lagana-Aliotti at [email protected].