BERKELEY'S NEWS • JANUARY 29, 2023

Ring in the New Year with our 2023 New Year's Special Issue!

Man arrested in connection to double shooting arraigned on ammunition charges

JULY 02, 2014

OAKLAND — Anthony Durant, 23, who police suspect was involved in a June 11 double shooting in South Berkeley, was arraigned Monday and charged with possession of ammunition by a prohibited person.

Durant turned himself in to Berkeley Police Department the morning of June 27 after police alerted the community that he was “armed and dangerous” and served search warrants for his arrest. He was arrested on suspicion of assault with a firearm, although the court has not charged him with assault. The two victims in the June 11 shooting sustained nonlife-threatening injuries.

Two other men were also arrested in connection to the shootings — 21-year-old Charles Wood and 22-year-old Donzale Mejia — but they were not in custody as of Tuesday afternoon.

Only Durant has been charged since the shootings, according to Teresa Drenick, spokesperson for the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office. Durant was prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm because of a previous conviction, according to court documents.

Durant is being held in Santa Rita Jail with bail set at $80,000.

Contact Nico Correia at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter @nicolocorreia.

JULY 02, 2014