BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

How to navigate construction on campus

DANIELLE SHI | STAFF

JULY 07, 2014

We know how irritating it can be when you’re trying to get somewhere on campus and you’re greeted by a giant metal fence, a looming yellow crane and a construction crew that you now have to navigate around. After a few years here at UC Berkeley, you’ve probably grown accustomed to the constant construction on campus. If you’ve ever been here for a summer, you know that the construction projects are even more notorious. Below is a quick guide to some of the main projects on campus and how they affect you as a student.

1. Golden Bear Cafe

We were disappointed to see a chain link fence pop up around Golden Bear Cafe right after finals. After all, GBC is the only place on campus you can grab a smoothie, wrap and a scantron all at once. According to this Daily Californian article, GBC shut down so the underground structures in the area can be waterproofed, as part of the Lower Sproul Redevelopment Project. In addition, the patio furniture around the cafe is going to be replaced. Luckily for us, GBC is scheduled to open again for the fall semester.

2. Lower Sproul Redevelopment Project

One area of campus you’re probably already used to avoiding is the Lower Sproul Redevelopment Project. The project has blocked off the staircase next to GBC, Ludwig’s Fountain, the MLK Student Union and the Lower Sproul courtyard. Despite these inconveniences, the time you spend taking the alternate route past GBC down the hill next to Strawberry Creek is well worth the wait. The new student center on Lower Sproul will have 24/7 study spaces, restaurants and meeting spaces.

The Northeast stair should be reopened in fall 2014 and the entire plaza should be finished in fall 2015.

3. North side of Haas School of Business

According to Christine Shaff, communications director at the UC Berkeley Real Estate Division, “underground utility work is underway on the north side of the Haas School of Business complex, in support of a proposed new classroom building for the Haas School.” For current students, that means no using the hill as a shortcut up to Bowles from campus. The nearby staircase behind Lewis Hall makes a great alternative.

4. Campbell Hall

Replacing its seismically deficient predecessor, the new Campbell Hall will be both earthquake-safe and LEED Gold-certified. The construction is projected to finish in early September. This project doesn’t affect your navigation of campus because the only area blocked off is the building site itself. Even so, the noise can be detrimental to your studies if you’re planning on studying by the Hearst Mining Reflection Pool.

5. Campanile Esplanade

If you’re used to cutting through the grassy area next to the Campanile on your trek from Dwinelle to Evans, you’ll need to figure out a different path for the next two months. If you were planning on showing the view from the top of the Campanile off to visiting friends and family this summer, don’t worry! You can still access Sather Tower during its regular hours.

Contact Elise Lagana-Aliotti at  or on Twitter

JULY 06, 2014