Berkeley official announces candidacy for AC Transit director at large

Igor Tregub, a city government official, announced Tuesday his candidacy for director at large on AC Transit’s board of directors — the only position in the two-county East Bay bus system that Berkeley residents can vote on this election cycle.

Tregub will run against incumbent Joel Young and legal analyst Tyron Jordan. The individual elected to the director-at-large position will sit on a seven-member board and approve the annual budget, contracts and deals for new projects.

Five members on the board represent distinct geographical areas stretching from Fremont to Richmond, whereas the two directors at large represent the entire region. Only one director-at-large position is up for grabs this year.

Tregub acts as vice chair of the city’s Housing Advisory Commission and sits as a member on the Zoning Adjustments Board. Jordan served in the Army and worked in an Oakland law firm before working as a legal analyst. Young has served as an AC Transit director at large since 2009. Board members are compensated about $1,100 per month. 

“AC Transit was always my first choice,” Tregub said. “I have more experience with what connects the lowest income population and for whom (AC Transit) may be the only way to get around.” 

Tregub’s campaign platforms center on agency accessibility, restoration of bus routes and stops, and a focus on the regional, rather than local, transit system.

Tregub said if elected, he plans to bring back bus stops and routes into the system — which were diminished after the recession — to increase ridership. AC Transit reduced its service by 7.2 percent in 2010 in order to offset a $56 million budget shortfall, a decision that was met with public discontent.

“Those numbers have gone up, and there’s a little more money in the system, but we are not out of the woods yet,” Tregub said. “One of my priorities will be to restore a lot of what was lost.”

Various City Council members, including Kriss Worthington and Jesse Arreguin, have supported Tregub’s campaign announcement.

“He deals with people on very different ends of the political spectrum, and yet he is able to work with them,” Worthington said.

Alejandro Soto-Vigil, a former member of the AC Transit Accessibility Advisory Committee who is also running for City Council, said Tregub “sleeps maybe three or four hours a day” and praised his ability to analyze policies.

Individuals can file candidacy for the director-at-large position Monday until Aug. 8. After the November general election, the elected official will begin office in December.

Contact Sarah Rockwood at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @srockwood44.