Tunesday: Road trip Edition

Whether or not you call The Bay home for the summer, getting away to a place where silence surrounds you should make it to the top of this season’s bucket list. If you’re stuck in Berkeley taking classes, there are plenty of spots within an hour’s distance. Or if making it to nearly every breathtaking destination around the world is more your cup of tea, that works too. Regardless of your spot of choice, this playlist should accompany you through the hours spent trekking to whatever the destination may be and during the nights spent trying to fall asleep in the back of the car.

Vinyl Thief — “Middle Of The Night”

Vinyl Thief, a Nashville-based electro-rock band that formed in 2012, released their first EP Stop Motion earlier this year. With the publication of “Middle Of The Night.” they announced that their LP Fathoms will come out later this month. Along with band members Logan Purdom, Sam English and Andrew Broadway, Grayson Proctor — with his vocals and synths — created a piece suited for traveling to some undetermined location, well, in the middle of the night. Proctor mentioned in an interview that this song materialized at 4 a.m., a time when “it almost feels like everyone around you is on pause, and you get to experience things completely on your own.”

Vance Joy — “Mess Is Mine”

After releasing “Riptide,, which has squatted on the top charts for the last year, the Australian musician Vance Joy fell a little silent. However, he recently announced that he will finally release his first full-length album this September. The record, titled Dream Your Life Away, only features “Riptide” from the tracks off his EP. He released “Mess Is Mine” this week as a teaser for what is to come. With its claps, guitars and culminating vocals, it sounds like a hybrid of The Lumineers and a more upbeat version of Mumford & Sons. Although the video for the track features a polar bear dealing with some incontinent passengers in the back of his cab, it is the ideal song to listen to while rolling out of your sleeping bag come sunrise.

Jungle — “Time”

If you decide to hit the road in the middle of the night, “Time” will keep you awake long enough to get somewhere without dozing off at the wheel. The track, with its ‘70s funk, emulates the work of Chromeo. Jungle, which formed only a year ago, rose to fame in anonymity, revealing neither their faces nor names to the public. Although their performances this year at SXSW and Glastonbury forced them to show themselves, they have yet to disclose their names and still refer to themselves as T and J. Their debut album came out this week under XL Recordings, which also produces for The xx, Radiohead and Jack White.

Chet Faker — “To Me”

Accompanied by drums and saxophone, Chet Faker creates a melancholic track for his debut album Built on Glass. As the Australian artist creates a slow tempo blend between soul and electronic music, listening to it under the stars at your camping spot of choice would be a quality decision. The album also includes “Gold,” a track fit for the occasion, as well. Flume reworked it this week.

Years & Years — “Eyes Shut”

This London trio of Olly Alexander, Mikey Goldsworthy and Emre Turkmen went down a different path than usual for this piece. It’s a bit softer, melodic and forlorn than their other stuff, but it still keeps their defining synth and bass. If you’re feeling a bonfire on this trip, “Eyes Shut” should be your go-to.

Glass Animals — “Gooey”

Although this Oxford-based band only officially got together in 2012, Glass Animals has already toured with St. Vincent and played both SXSW and Glastonbury. The psychedelic indie pop group released “Gooey” last month, and its surrealist tone works for a mellow journey. Dave Bayley’s breathy voice and the swirling percussion make for a band that combines the styles of Alt-J and Animal Collective.

Tourist — “Patterns” feat. Lianne La Havas

Tourist first gained prominence with his remix of Haim’s “The Wire,” but here he removes the pop and adds in English folk and soul singer Lianne La Havas. The plucky synths that start “Patterns” loop over the track against Hayas’s powerful vocals. Tourist signed to Method Records, which also houses Disclosure and Sam Smith.

James Vincent McMorrow — “Cavalier” (MOORS Remix)

MOORS remakes James Vincent McMorrow’s original and does the artist’s silky, ethereal vocals justice. McMorrow moves from folk to a more sonic feel, and MOORS highlights that. The Los Angeles producer adds low hums and a more forward driving beat to complete the track. This track will seamlessly top off the days spent outside as you venture back to reality.

Contact Sasha Chebil at [email protected].