3rd strong-arm robbery in 1 week occurs on campus

A 30-year-old male UC Berkeley student was the victim of a strong-arm robbery Tuesday night.

The student was walking on Grinnell Pathway, which runs east to west through the campus, when he saw three men approaching him from the other direction, according to a UCPD crime alert released Wednesday. After the student passed the men around 9:30 p.m., they approached him from behind, punched his cheek and kicked him several times after he fell to the ground, police said.

The men allegedly stole the student’s backpack and fled westbound on the pathway. The incident is the third strong-arm robbery on campus reported to UCPD in the last week. An attempted robbery also occurred on the same pathway two weeks ago.

According to the crime alert, the suspects are described as:

Suspect No. 1 –  A black male in his early 20s, 6 feet in height, with a skinny build, wearing a light blue hooded sweatshirt and dark jeans.

Suspect No. 2 –  A black male in his early 20s, 6 feet in height, with a skinny build, wearing a dark-colored long-sleeve shirt and dark jeans.

Suspect No. 3 –  A black male in his early 20s, 6 feet in height, with a skinny build and wearing dark jeans.

Kimberly Veklerov is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @KVeklerov.