Man steals woman’s laptop, drops it while running away, police say

A woman was the victim of a strong-arm robbery Monday morning when a man allegedly shoved her and stole her laptop.

The woman, whose affiliation with the campus is unknown, was sitting inside a business working on her laptop near the intersection of Dwight Way and Telegraph Avenue. Around 10:45 a.m., a man entered the business and shoved her from behind, according to a UCPD crime alert released Tuesday. He then allegedly grabbed the laptop and ran from the store.

Along with other customers, the woman chased the man and attempted to stop him. He then dropped the laptop and ran to Dwight Way, where he jumped into a waiting vehicle, police said.

Berkeley Police Department responded to the incident but did not locate the suspect or suspect vehicle. The woman was not injured during the encounter.

According to the crime alert, the suspect is described as a black male, 25 to 30 years old, 6-foot-2 in height, 200 pounds, with a solid build, wearing a white shirt and dark pants. The suspect vehicle is described as a white Econoline U-Haul van. There was no suspect description for the driver of the van.

Kimberly Veklerov is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @KVeklerov.