UC to evacuate affiliates in Pakistan after bombing this week

The university is initiating evacuation of UC affiliates in Pakistan after a bombing in the city of Quetta on Tuesday.

Two UC Berkeley faculty members are currently in Pakistan on UC-related business, according to campus risk manager Andy Goldblatt. No students or staff have been reported to be in the country, although an email was sent Wednesday to campus deans, directors and chairs asking for help identifying other UC faculty, staff and students in Pakistan.

Campus professor Ron Gronsky, special faculty assistant to the chancellor for international relations, said in the email that not all UC affiliates take the recommendation that they register their international travel with the university.

The Tuesday bombing occurred near a market, injuring more than a dozen people. According to Reuters, another bombing Thursday killed one man and wounded two policemen. The attacks follow others in Pakistan this summer, including an attack by the Taliban that killed 30 people in June.

“The tension is predicted to be the highest over the next day or two and we want to be sure that no one is in harms way,” Gronsky said in an email.

UC Berkeley has an Urdu language program in Lahore, a city in eastern Pakistan. This week, thousands of anti-government protesters began marching from Lahore to Islamabad, the country’s capital.

The language program’s next session is scheduled to begin Aug. 21, according to its website.

Melissa Wen is a news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @melissalwen.