BERKELEY'S NEWS • DECEMBER 07, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Billiards bar Thalassa to close next month

MAGGIE SOUN | STAFF

AUGUST 15, 2014

The billiards bar Thalassa, located on the corner of Durant and Shattuck avenues, is set to close next month.

The popular bar’s lease is ending, and the landlord, Greg Hoff, chose not to renew it. Employees of the bar said Hoff will be using the space to open a nightclub after the bar closes Sept. 27.

The staff of Thalassa said they hope to open at an alternative location. An open date or location, however, has yet to be decided.

“We’re sad to see the bar go,” said Julia Sheng of Pegasus Books, the adjacent bookstore.

Sheng doesn’t believe the closing of Thalassa will directly affect the bookstore’s business, although she was concerned with the noise that a potential nightclub would bring.

“We can already hear the music from there, and especially during readings, it might get loud,” Sheng said.

Michael Lerner, editor of Tikkun Magazine — a progressive Jewish and interfaith magazine whose office is located nearby — said he does not feel sad to see the bar go.

“Walking out to my car at night, I am always nervous of the characters out here … They’re sometimes a little seedy,” Lerner said, although he was unsure whether a nightclub would solve this problem or affect him.

He said a new nightclub had potential to attract different kinds of people. A new establishment could bring in more students or a new crowd.

Thalassa has been in its Shattuck location for more than 15 years. The owner, Douglas Miller, bought what was Berkeley Billiards in 1998, adding a bar and renovations to make it Thalassa.

Peter Mutch, a patron of the bar, said he is disappointed the bar is closing. He and friends like to go to the bar to play pool and shuffleboard and drink beer.

With Thalassa’s absence, he said he and friends will probably attend the bar Freehouse located on Bancroft Way and College Avenue, though the only other place to play pool, he said, is at La Val’s Pizza, a restaurant on Northside.

Contact Elizabeth Kurata at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @ElizabethKurata.

AUGUST 17, 2014