Cal Athletics announces new scoreboard, other enhancements to Haas Pavilion

Cal Athletics/Courtesy

Just two years after renovations to California Memorial Stadium, Cal’s other main athletic facility — Haas Pavilion — is seeing an upgrade of its own.

Haas Pavilion will receive $10 million in enhancements, Cal Athletics announced Monday. The centerpiece of these renovations is the new 28-by-13-foot, center-hung scoreboard that will feature “state-of-the-art LED displays and new corner entrance and fascia LED displays on either end of the court,” according to the release. The enhancements will also include upgrades to the lighting and sound systems in the facility.

“(These enhancements) directly contribute to the Cal student, alumni and campus experience as a whole,” said women’s basketball coach Lindsay Gottlieb in the release. “These significant upgrades will take our home arena – already an exceptional gathering place for tens of thousands of students, alumni and fans – to an entirely new level that will benefit all who play in and visit Haas Pavilion every day of the year.”

The upgrades were made possible by a donation from the Evelyn & Walter Haas, Jr. Fund.

“My father was a devoted Cal alum, and he believed in the power of sports to galvanize not only a team but the entire community,” said Walter J. Haas, Jr., chair of the fund in the statement. “This gift embodies his legacy.”

The new scoreboard is expected to be completed by the fall of 2015.

The renovations come just a year after Cal Athletics updated the court design in Haas Pavilion, completing an athletic makeover for Cal teams. Cal also changed many of the wall graphics in the facility as part of that update. When the new scoreboard debuts, it will be another leg of that same makeover.

The current scoreboards, which hang high around the edge of the court, will be removed, and athletic banners and retired jerseys will be moved to the end of the arena, along the walls above the stands.

“Haas Pavilion is much more than just another campus building,” said Phil Esten, deputy director of athletics for external relation. “What happens inside the corridors and on the arena floor cannot be replicated. These are shared experiences that forge an everlasting bond between the students and the university. With this announcement, we are entering the next phase of Haas Pavilion and are ushering in a renewed Cal spirit that strikes a balance between tradition and innovation.”

Riley McAtee is the sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @riley_mcatee